Sunday, September 8, 2013

"Arrivals... There Goes the Neighborhood"

If there were a new neighbor or a new group of people who I've never met, I would most likely be welcoming to them. If they started to take over and maybe change the environment, I would very much intervene. When the explorers came to the New World, they were hostile and not friendly as the natives were to them. Columbus came and planned to conquer and "govern them as I please". In my honest opinion, that was not the right thing to do. I think the explorers should have been grateful that they were being welcomed to the foreign land. Instead, Columbus enslaved some and was only on the quest for gold. 

Anyways, if I were an explorer searching for new land, I would not be greedy. I don't see myself as a greedy person. I do, however, see Columbus as one. I would treat the natives how they treat me. If they gave us gifts of some sort, I would return the favor. I want them to trust me, as well as me trusting them. There was an enormous culture difference between the natives and explorers, and if I were leading them, I would respect such differences. They live their own lives the way they want to and we live ours. If an argument of some sort were to arise, i would make it as peaceful as possible. We can all be friendly neighbors if we put greed aside and listen to our differences to make a compromise. Since Columbus was sent to look for gold and spices, I would humbly ask the natives if they can trade or even give us what we search. If not, we can maybe find a substitution for these material things. He also went to convert them. I wouldn't have done that. They have their own cultural differences and I think people should respect that. To each their own.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Columbus could have done things a lot better. And that if we could set greed aside it would be a good thing. If only everyone could be as selfless as you, Alex.
    -Peter Uhll

    ReplyDelete