Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Edgar Allan Poe

Edgar Allan Poe's life was pretty odd to me. I haven't read any of his literature that wasn't in the textbook, but I like his writing. It is very different than other writers because his writing was very suspenseful and mysterious. I did a quick google search to learn more about him, and I learned that before his early death at 40 years old, he was very poor, yet he still published short stories and wrote for magazines. What was really odd to me was the fact that at the age of 27, he married his 13 year-old cousin and also outlived her. Two years before her death, Poe wrote The Raven, a poem that went viral in newspapers. This poem was Poe's most famous work, and it became a bigger success after Poe's acquaintance, Rufus Griswald, wrote an obituary, attacking and accusing Edgar Allan Poe of being a bad person. He wanted revenge on Poe after he wrote negative things about his work and thought that his obituary would make the public forget about Poe, but it only drove sales of Poe's work higher than ever. I would like to read more of his work because I like his gothic-themed writing and how he makes the setting very spooky.

4 comments:

  1. I agree he had a very interesting and odd life, do you think that attributes to his "Gothic" writing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to hear more of your take on how events of his life contributed to his style of writing. Also, why do you think his writing is "Gothic" and what does he use to create a "spooky" setting and/or mood?

    ReplyDelete